Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jeff's Jewelry and Wine Pairings: Sancerre


Summer is for Sancerre

Sancerre is my all-time favorite summer wine. You can certainly drink it any time, but a summer afternoon by the lake is just about perfect if accompanied by a chilled (not too cold) glass of nice Sancerre and some interesting cheese.

Sancerre comes from the Loire Valley in France. The French like to say that wine is a reflection of its terrior, its soil and location. Sancerre is a product of “white” soil, which is rich in limestone. The soil and the location give the best Sancerre a taste of the soil that is unmistakable. It is pleasant, light, and earthy.

Sancerre is more interesting than the Australian and New Zeeland Sauvignon Blanc in taste, although they both come from the same grape variety, Sauvignon Blanc. It is also more expensive (sometimes a lot more expensive) than the New World Sauvignon Blanc, but what the hey. How much can you drink?

What brings me to a light-hearted discussion of Sancerre is that this weekend is my birthday (no gifts, but checks made out to cash will be accepted).

When asked what I wanted to do for my birthday by Ashley of Ashley’s Big Secret fame, I told her I wanted to have a picnic by the lake, play Bocce and drink, you guessed it, Sancerre and sparkling water and sample interesting cheeses, salamis, and crusty French baguettes from Panera Bread.

Life is good.

This is an important birthday for me. I am exactly halfway through my intended lifespan. Counting on good genes and no particular effort on my part, I am planning to live to 116 at which point I will decide if I want to live longer. Of course, as long as I have a good supply of Sancerre, sparkling water and interesting cheeses, I may decide that life should go on even further. I will keep you posted.

As far as jewelry to wear with a light, but interesting white wine, Ashley suggests that you look at our Fauxture Charm Necklace Set and our Gold Essential Charm Bracelet. Ashley says they are perfect for a rich summer picnic- sophisticated and fun.

For fabulous accessories, visit AshleysBigSecret.com. Please feel free to comment here, or give us a shout out at writeus@ashleysbigsecret.com.

© Copyright 2007. Ashley’s Big Secret, Inc.

No comments: