Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fake It in the Kitchen!



I've always adored entertaining- I love to throw big, elaborate meals and feel that a dinner party I throw should have course after course after course on lush candle lit tables.

Dinner parties at my house are legendary affairs, one of which is simply referred to as 'the' dinner party and of the many parties I've thrown, there is never any confusion which one is being referenced. Once, Mom called me one afternoon and suggested dinner that night. "We'll just come over to your house and order a pizza or something", she said. "Oh no", I thought. No dinner at my house was going to be eaten from a box. Immediately, visions of lush pastas, field greens, fresh baked breads and sumptuous desserts filled my mind.

Keep in mind- I have never been particularly rich in time nor money. Champagne on a beer budget doesn't even begin to describe me. I have, though, always worshipped the God of All Things Fake. So I even fake it in the kitchen.

Over the years, I've collected recipes from Sandra Lee, time saving techniques from Rachel Ray, and money saving wine tips from my father to become quite the efficient little gourmand- if I do say so myself.

I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes with you for faking it in the kitchen. Truffles are a simply delectable treat that are usually purchased at high end chocolate boutiques for an arm and a leg but are very classy. When your guests hear that you've made them yourself, I promise they will be in total awe of your kitchen goddess status.

You can find a truffle recipe in almost every gourmet cookbook, but I've combined several recipes and added my own advice and tips from trial and error to give you the world's best (and easiest) recipe.

Ingredients:

8oz. Semi-sweet baker's chocolate

16oz. (1 bag) chocolate or white chocolate chips

3 tbsp very heavy whipping cream

1tbsp of your favorite liqueur- mine is Kahlua. Mint or almond extract work well, too.

In a large pan half filled with water, place a smaller, heat-safe bowl. The stove should be at about medium. Add the baker's chocolate to the smaller bowl and stir occasionally until it's completely melted. Add the whipping cream and stir completely, then add the liqueur or extract and mix well- then take it away from heat immediately.

Place the bowl with the chocolate in the freezer for 40 minutes or an hour, until the chocolate is firmed up enough to be malleable and keep it's shape. Roll the chocolate into 1 tablespoon balls, put them on wax paper.

What you've just created is ganache. Some people just leave it at that- ganache is delicious! you can roll it in powdered sugar or chopped nuts and still make a big hit. However, for a true truffle, the next step is so easy and fun I've never successfully avoided it. The ganache can also be made far in advance and kept in an air tight container in the freezer until you're ready to use it.

Put the ganache in the freezer and let it firm up for 20 minutes. Take about 3/4 cup of the chocolate or white chocolate and microwave it in a small bowl in 30 second intervals. Between intervals, stir vigorously. Chocolate is only tricky to work with if you forget that it can burn and will keep it's chocolate chip shape as its melting. Stirring it vigorously between microwaving will help it break up and not burn. Using smaller quantities at a time will help, too. It usually takes three 30 second intervals to get the chocolate smooth.

Take the ganache out of the freezer and one by one, drop it in the melted chocolate. To make sure it's coated completely, use 2 forks to 'juggle' it. That's it! Place your truffles on wax paper and wait until they firm up- usually 4 or 5 hours. You'll want to leave them at room temperature- if you stick them in the fridge they'll get that gross white stuff on the surface.

I like to dip my truffles in milk chocolate and then melt and color white chocolate and splash it over for my truffles as an added accent. The photo above shows green truffles I'm making for St. Patrick's Day!
For fabulous accessories, visit AshleysBigSecret.com. Please feel free to comment here, or give us a shout out at writeus@ashleysbigsecret.com.

© Copyright 2007. Ashley’s Big Secret, Inc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ashley for letting me feature your ganache-chocolate truffles recipe!

Looks and tastes delicious (oh yes, when it comes to chocolates, I just need to make them and never tried with Kahlua, well, now I did, I always like a coffee taste in a ganache!)