Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ug... Moving Day

Whew! I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off! This week I moved the rest of my things from Chicago to Wisconsin. I had terrific help from friends, Mom, Dad and 'lil Bro, but boy, it was still quite a chore.

Several moving revelations:

1) I've often heard people tell a story about heirlooms that goes something like this, "My grandmother carried this over from the old country in her purse... and now it's one of my most cherished possessions". I think I now know how those stories started. I had just finished packing up all of my boxes, which included A LOT of china. I have luncheon china, dinner china, sushi china... you name it, I've got a 12 piece set for it. Roughly a minute and a half after sealing the last box, I came across one last, lonely teacup. It is pretty and delicate, so I couldn't leave it or throw it away... but other than its untimely reappearance, it probably doesn't deserve to be hand carried anywhere. Even still, I literally had to take it in my purse. One day, I'm sure, one of my grand children will hold up my lonely teacup, and say, "My grandmother carried this over in her purse."

2) It helps to have a sense of humor. Luckily, we had it in spades! My movers were awesome, but most importantly, they came with a moving truck with a graffiti Stewie from The Family Guy emblazoned on the side. Awesome. You can't buy that kind of consideration!

3) While I usually have a few pieces of jewelry on at all times, moving day is not one of those times where its necessary to look cute and classy at all times. I made the executive decision to remove my signature pearls and my big rings. It felt really weird, I admit, but lets face it- jewelry get in the way of trying to move a nine foot couch. Don't worry, it's all back on now!

Well, I'm exhausted... but so glad it's over!!!

For fabulous accessories, visit http://www.ashleysbigsecret.com/. Please feel free to comment here, or give us a shout out at writeus@ashleysbigsecret.com.

© Copyright 2007. Ashley’s Big Secret, Inc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ug...... I HATE moving! The last time I moved my movers came late and then broke like half my stuff!!! Glad yours went better than mine!