Friday, December 29, 2006

Getting all ready for the New Year!

Well, Mom and I are busy getting ready for parties for New Years. We are each throwing our own. I have loved throwing parties for quite some time, something I certainly got from her. She always threw the most elegant, delightful parties- the tables had gold flatware, lots of candles, and so much trimming they looked like they had jumped out of a Neiman Marcus catalog. When I got my first apartment, I implemented the 'Early Inheritance Program', which essentially meant that when I liked something in my mother's apartment, I took it for myself!

My dinner parties have been pretty good, too- if I do say so myself. My piece de resistance was a 5 course dinner including an amuse-bouche. The room was entirely candle-lit, the wine flowed like water, and everyone had a wonderful time. (From what I've been told. I went to bed shortly after my guests finished dessert- wine flowing like water will do that to a gal.)

So now we're busy making preparations for our NYE parties. I am in the midst of selling my apartment, so the NYE party I throw will be a little bittersweet for me. I have had such fun there, and this party will be the last. It will be a good one, though- I will have my best friends and a case of champagne.

Mom, on the other hand, has overnight guests at her home, for which she has arranged hors d'hoevres, dinner, snack and breakfast menus, that all look very sophisticated and delightful. Taking a cue from our friend Stephanie, queen of organization and delight, she has them organized in her planner by time. Honestly, everything looks so beautiful on her menu... except for one small item. She is serving COCKTAIL WEENIES for hors d'hoevres!!! Well, I am shocked! She either believes she is stuck in suburban Detroit circa 1957 or is making snacks for a super bowl party in 1985. (Those, by the way, are the only times in history when cocktail weenies have ever been socially acceptable snack food. No excuses)

This does, however, offer the opportunity to sing (at every opportunity) a mash up of 'Tiny Bubbles" and "Tiny Weenies" ala Don Ho, and let me tell you- NOTHING could be more delightful!

Tiny weenies or not, I'm sure we'll each have a wonderful time welcoming in the New Year, surrounded by our best friends, because they are what truly matters. We are wishing you a happy, healthy and safe New Year's Eve Celebration of your own. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! luv the tiny weenies bit!